Anne-Laure Autin is a French conceptual photographer currently residing in the Netherlands. She studied theoretical mathematics and holds an MSc from the University of Leiden.
Her work is in the collection of the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston and the MoMA Library.
Autin’s photographs have been exhibited internationally, in the USA among others at the Corden Potts gallery, the Griffin Museum of Photography, the Center for Fine Arts Photography, as well as at the Brighton Photo Fringe in the UK and FestFoto International in Brazil and more.
Autin’s first monograph Blood Line, published by +Kris Graves Projects, was released in 2017 and was part of the Photobook Exhibition of APhF:18 at the Benaki Museum in Athens, Greece.
Her images have been featured on Musée Magazine, Lenscratch, L’Oeil de la Photographie, LensCulture, Underexposed and more. She was a Critical Mass finalist in 2017 and in 2016 as well as a FestFoto International Festival of Photography Finalist in 2018 and a BPF OPEN16 Solo finalist.
Anne-Laure is represented by Corden-Potts Gallery in San Francisco.
As a conceptual photographer, I am mostly inspired by emotional tensions within the world around me. I do find individual stories most interesting once passed the anecdotal, and I turn to them looking for answers to the question of what might be universal. My work allows the viewer to navigate ubiquitous emotional experiences through abstracted individual narratives. As such, I am fascinated by contrasting juxtapositions, and I embrace in my staged work the duality of my search for logical truth and my love of human nature. The vignettes I create are simple, constructed to enhance a subtle symbolic and intimate discovery with each viewer. By manipulating imagery and physical prints, I anchor the concepts I investigated back into the materiality of the medium.
MSc in theoretical mathematics from the University of Leiden, The Netherlands.
2020 Blood Line, Center for Photography at Woodstock, Woodstock, NY, USA — COVID postponed
2017 Locked-in, Corden-Potts Gallery, San Francisco, CA, USA.
2016 Locked-in, Inglewood Fine Arts Gallery, Calgary, AB, Canada.
– Politics of the Kitchen, Lenscratch (online), USA, jurors Barbara Ciurej and Lindsay Lochman
– The Qualities of LIGHT Flat File Drawers, Center for Creative Photography, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA
– Primary Source, Lafayette City Center, Boston, MA, USA
– On the Shelf, Corden-Potts Gallery, San Francisco, CA, USA.
– FotoFest Discoveries: a collection of uncovered gazes, Patricia Conde Galeria on Artsy, Mexico.
– Discovery Awards Projections, Encontros da Imagem, Braga, Portugal.
– From Helsinki with love, Helsinki Photo Festival, Futura Galleria, Helsinki, Finland.
– The Family of No Man, Arles Cosmos, Arles, France.
– So Far, Landskrona Foto Festival, Landskrona, Sweden.
– Photobook Exhibition of APhF:18, Athens Photo Festival, Benaki Museum, Athens, Greece.
– Genres in transit: Frontier Photography, FestFoto International Festival of Photography, Porto Alegre, Brazil.
– One, Jadite Gallery for the New York Center for Fine Art Photography, New York, NY, USA. Juried by Aline Smithson, Founder and Editor-in-
– 23rd Juried Show: The Ed Friedman Legacy Exhibition, Griffin Museum of Photography, Winchester, MA, USA. Juried by Hamidah Glasgow, Executive Director & Curator The Center for Fine Art Photography, Fort Collins, CO.
– 35th Annual Juried Membership Exhibition, Houston Center for Photography, Houston, TX, USA. Juried by Dr. Rebecca Senf, Chief Curator at the Center for Creative Photography, Tucson, AZ and Norton Family Curator at the Phoenix Art Museum.
– Center Forward, Center for Fine Art Photography, Fort Collins, CO, USA.
– Summer Selection, Corden-Potts Gallery, San Francisco, CA, USA.
– Signature Image, Center for Fine Art Photography, Fort Collins, CO, USA. Juried by Alyssa Coppelman, Photo-Editor.
– Four elements, Float Magazine (online), USA. Curated by Marina Trancoso, Founder and Editor of Impressa Magazine.
– Black & White (online), New York Center for Photographic Arts, NY, USA. Curated by Mark Sink, co-founder of The Museum of Contemporary Art Denver and founder of the Month of Photography Denver.
– OPEN16, Brighton Photo Fringe, Top 20 OPEN16 Solo Finalist, Brighton, UK.
– Center Forward, Center for Fine Art Photography, Fort Collins, CO, USA. Juried by Aline Smithson, Founder and Editor-in-
– Projections, Berlin Foto Biennale, Berlin, Germany.
– 2nd Annual Member Show, Penumbra Foundation at Soho Photo gallery, Manhattan, NY, USA
– 3rd Annual Members Exhibit, Los Angeles Center for Photography at Dnj gallery, Santa Monica, CA, USA. Juried by January Parkos Arnall, Curator of the Public Programs at the Museum of Contemporary Arts Chicago.
– Personal Narrative, PhotoPlace Gallery, Middlebury, VT, USA. Curated by Susan Burnstine.
– 22nd Juried Show: The Peter Urban Legacy Exhibition on Instagram, Griffin Museum of Photography, USA.
– Masks, Don’t Take Pictures (online), USA
Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, TX, USA
The MoMA Library
Center for Creative Photography, University of Arizona, AZ, USA
Hellenic Center for Photography Library
Corden|Potts Gallery, San Francisco, USA
Anne-Laure Autin, Blood Line, +Kris Graves Projects, New York, USA. September, 2017.
BIBLIOGRAPHY (print and online)
– “Captive”, Jill Enfield’s Guide to Photographic Alternative Processes”, USA. 07.6.
–“Locked-in”, Edge of Humanity Magazine, USA, May 30, 2018
– Hoon Jeon, “Woman Crush Wednesday”, interview, Musée Magazine, USA. October 31, 2018.
– Project Spotlight Blood Line, interview, Photo-emphasis, USA. June 15, 2018.
– “Altered image”, F-stop magazine, USA. June 1, 2018.
– Mia Dalglish, “Anne-Laure Autin“, CURIOUS photo-blog, USA. May 28, 2018.
– “Locked-in photographed by Anne-Laure Autin“, LetKiss magazine, France. 25 March, 2018.
– Davída Carta, “Anne-Laure Autin – interview”, Underexposed Magazine, USA. 10 February, 2018.
– Collier Brown, “Locked-in auras : Anne-Laure Autin“, Od Review, USA. 30 January, 2018.
– “Best of April: Anne-Laure Autin, Locked-in”, L’ Oeil de la Photographie, France. 21 December, 2017.
– Diffusion IX, One Twelve publishing, USA. December, 2017. 99.
– Paula Tognarelli, “23rd Juried Show: The Ed Friedman Legacy Exhibition”, The Griffin Museum of Photography, catalogue, USA. July 2017. 78.
– Kris Graves, “Anne-Laure Autin – interview”, Light Leaked, USA. 13 May, 2017.
– Fraction Magazine, issue 98 9th Anniversary issue, USA. 2 May, 2017.
– Aline Smithson, “Anne-Laure Autin: Locked-in”, Lenscratch, USA. 5 April, 2017.
– Aline Smithson, “Anne-Laure Autin: Blood Line”, Lenscratch, USA. 10 March, 2017.
– “Locked-in”, Bokeh Bokeh, USA. 20 January, 2017.
– The Hand, issue 15, USA. January, 2017. 51.
– “Locked-in: Mind/Body Disonnection”, LensCulture, USA. November, 2016.
– The Hand, issue 14, USA. October, 2016. 13.
– Jamila Prowse, “Interview with OPEN16 solo shortlist artist Anne-Laure Autin”, Brighton Photo Fringe, UK. 21 September, 2016.
– Shots Magazine, issue 133 Still Life, USA. September, 2016. 32.
– “Musée Emerging Artist”, Musée Magazine, issue 15 Place, USA. July, 2016. 314-315.
– “Anne-Laure Autin – Locked-in”, L’ Oeil de la Photographie, France. July 2, 2016.
– “Greece week: Christina Papas: In the Black of Light”, Lenscratch, USA. November 16.
– “Greece week: Michael Almiroudis: Genius Seculi”, Lenscratch, USA. November 15.
– “Greece week: Ioanna Sakellaraki: The Truth is in the Soil”, Lenscratch, USA. November 14.
– “Greece week: Katerina Tsakiri: A simple place”, Lenscratch, USA. November 13.
– “Greece week: Ilias Georgiadis: Over.State”, Lenscratch, USA. November 12.
– “Greece week: Giannis Manolis: The Hunter, the Woman and the Hut”, Lenscratch, USA. November 11.
– “Dutch week: Eline Benjaminsen”, Lenscratch, USA. October 19, 2018.
– “Dutch week: Vivian Keulards”, Lenscratch, USA. October 18, 2018.
– “Dutch week: Alexandra Brand”, Lenscratch, USA. October 17, 2018.
– “Dutch week: Saskia Aukema”, Lenscratch, USA. October 16, 2018.
– “Dutch week: Freudenthal/Verhagen”, Lenscratch, USA. October 15, 2018.
– “Once your parents pass”, Typical Girls, issue 3 Generations, UK. June, 2017. 127-128.
2016 Open Show, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Sept 2015 – present Photography-Club founder & teacher at the European School of the Hague, The Netherlands
– FestFoto, Top 20 Finalist “Genres in transit: Frontier Photography”
– Honorable Mention for Blood Line, Tokyo International Foto Awards (Tifa), Fine Arts Collage category
– Third Place Winner, “One” exhibit jurored by Aline Smithson for the New York Center for Photographic Art
– Critical Mass Finalist
– Honorable Mention, “Black & White” exhibit jurored by Mark Sink for the New York Center for Photographic Art
– Critical Mass Finalist
– Brighton Photo Fringe Open, Top 20 Finalist
– International Photography Awards, Honorable Mention
– SWPP: Category Gold Award